Friday, April 22, 2016

Review on Grant Morrison Arkham Asylum


I read Grant Morrison, Arkham Asylum, this week. Before I indulge any further into this comic, I would just like to express that I already knew about how the story would take place. Thanks to all the pop culture media, such as the cartoons, movies and games Even though it was my first time reading this graphic novel, I knew what to expect story wise, however, I was blown away with the art style that was presented into the graphic novel. The art style was completely off the map for all the other batman and DC comics I had read. Such crisp textures, the layout of panels, the color schemes, the roughness of the drawings. They were all so planned out that it was a completely different experience reading this novel. I asked Matthew hammers to more regarding this comic, as he is a big fan of batman and knows his inside and out about the DC universe, and he informed me that all the panels were actually hand painted by different artist on a large canvases. And have been photographed to fit into the panels. The version I read had a lot more in depth to the graphic novel than any other version. It was the special edition, where the script was attached to the comic after the reader finished reading the entire book and also had planning panel drafts attached to it. It was quite interesting to see how they had planned and all the changes they were asked to do and how they made changes to the graphic novel. This was truly one of the best graphic novels I had read.

No comments:

Post a Comment